Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Jet Planes and Doctors


Somehow, during the two days I just spent in Philadelphia, fall has come to New York. There's a chill in the air and the sweaters are coming out; I can't wait for the leaves to turn!

It's been a busy few weeks. Highly exhausting but hugely entertaining too. Lots of fun things to report... First, I'll back track a bit to labor day weekend. I got off early from work that Friday, so I met up with my roommate Stephanie for some lunch in Bryant Park. We ate at a small table and watched the old men play chess while in the background the Fashion Week crew set up the enormous tents that house the famous shows. Then we wandered around a bit, poking into different stores and finally lounging on the steps of the New York Public Library. After some good people watching, I made my way to the airport and boarded a flight for Columbus, OH. My parents met me there and we got a chance to catch up in person, which was great. The dogs were both happy to see me too!

The next morning I headed out early for Ann Arbor. It's an easy drive, a straight 2 1/2 hour shot up Route 23, and there's nothing better for a road trip than lazy sunshine and Saturday morning NPR. Between "Car Talk", "All Things Considered" and "Wait, Wait - Don't Tell Me" the miles flew by. Soon enough I was literally leaping into Aidan's arms and cooking up a labor day barbecue with friends. Later on, we visited the Humane Society and looked at some very adorable kittens and puppies. Somehow, we managed to leave without an extra passenger; I was pretty impressed by our restraint. We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing, then met up with more friends for dinner and pints of ice cream enjoyed in front of a good movie. Sunday and Monday were more of the same - visiting theater friends (at Pizza House of course, our regular haunt), taking in Ann Arbor. On Monday, Aidan also had some headshots taken by Angie Cesere, the same girl who shot my production photos for Kiss of the Spiderwoman and The Full Monty, plus my own headshots. As you can see from the picture above, I managed to sneak my way into a few...

I drove back down to Columbus on Monday night. It was hard leaving, but it was nice to have some more time with my family, get to see them a little before my very, very early flight the next morning. I crawled out of bed slowly at 3:00am, sleepily enjoying the similarities between Ohio crickets and New York traffic, and then managed to get packed up and ready. Dad drove me to the airport, and my busy week began.

Before I go on to explain this busy week, I feel a little explanation is needed. Back in August, right before I moved in to my apartment in New York, I worked as a Production Assistant for the Dr. Phil show. A good friend had called me and offered me the position, and what with a generous stipend and all expenses paid, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. So for three days I went along with the director, the location manager, and the executive in charge of production scouting different locations to shoot the opening of Dr. Phil's eighth season. These included Kleinfeld's Bridal in Manhattan, and numerous places in Philadelphia, like the U.S.S. New Jersey battleship (see picture to the left), the "Rocky" steps of the Philadelphia art museum, and Liberty Plaza. We also shot a commercial spot in Times Square and ate some wonderful food at The Waterworks restaurant. Needless to say, it was a lot of fun! Now, although I was (and am) currently working as an intern at MTC, when the Dr. Phil people called and offered for me to work on the actual shoot in September, I was really eager to help out (and make some extra money!). Luckily for me, my boss was very understanding and gave me quite a few days off to take advantage of the opportunity. And so, that Tuesday morning after Labor Day I arrived in New York at 7:15am, just in time to hop in a taxi and dash off to the 7:30am production meeting on Central Park South.

More to come on the Dr. Phil adventures!


No comments:

Post a Comment